Sunday, October 13, 2013

C4T #2

I was assigned to view a teacher, Jerrid W. Kruse's blog Teaching as a Dynamic Activity. The following is the post that I commented on...

Author: Jerrid W. Kruse
“Teachers create all other professions”.

Teachers also create their own profession. Some of the students in your class will eventually become teachers.

To what extent are you modeling effective teaching for those students?

I was a late comer to education. Teaching did not seem an interesting option for my life’s work.

I was wrong.

When are you explicitly discussing teaching and learning with your students? How are you helping your students recognize the intellectual challenge of teaching others? In what way do you explicitly share your passion for teaching with kids?

After reading this post carefully and giving myself time to reflect I then posted the following comment to Mr. Kruse's Blog:

Hey! I am a student at the University of South Alabama in EDM 310. I have been assigned to read your blog post and comment. I do not have my own classroom yet, so the questions that you have purposed really go unanswered at this point right now. “Teachers create all other professions.” This statement is so relevant in teaching and is true. We are laying the foundation for our students! Many teachers I had growing up did not take their position as serious as it seems you do. Since I am unable to answer the questions that you have brought to my attention, I would love to hear your personal answer. “To what extent are you modeling effective teaching for those students? When are you explicitly discussing teaching and learning with your students? How are you helping your students recognize the intellectual challenge of teaching others? In what way do you explicitly share your passion for teaching with kids?” Could you give me your personal answer to these questions? What is your main way of teaching in your own classroom?
Please feel free to contact me:
Email- Victoria.williams9207@gmail.com
My Blog: http://williamsvictoriaelizabethedm310.blogspot.com/
Twitter: @tori_williams92

Thanks, Victoria Williams

The second post I read of Jerrid W. Kruse was on the topic of teaching technology in his classroom. Mr. Kruse taught ed tech to be exact. He wrote about the irritability of his students frustrations when not understanding how to perform something correctly. He explained to his students that his goal was "critical curiosity"! I believe that this a wonderful way to covey to students that learning can be frustrating but it takes curiosity for one to learn. I commented with my reflection in a comment stating the following:

"Technology in the classroom can be both positive and negative at times I feel sure. As a future elementary teacher, we are taught in all of our college classes to incorporate technology in our future classrooms. We are constantly pushing the envelope with new ideas as to what we can come up with to develop even further technological tools/resources. I believe that it is vital to use technology in the classroom for students to learn. This decision has been reached due to the fact that students use technology on a daily basis. If we do not incorporate technology into our classrooms students are not going to stay engaged in the material that is being presented. Although there are many pros and cons to technology use in the classroom, the good out ways the bad."

~ Victoria E. Williams
University of South Alabama
EDM 310

1 comment:

  1. Hey Victoria!
    Good job on your post. I especially agree with your comment on the second post about technology. It is vital! I think your comments to your assigned teacher were very well thought out, and there were no grammatical mistakes that I could find.

    ReplyDelete