Sunday, September 8, 2013

Blog Post #3

Peer Editing

Peer editing can be very beneficial in a classroom, as well as helping others guarantee their assignment is superlative. I first watched What is Peer Editing? "Peer" is described as someone your own age, while "editing" is making suggestions, comments, or corrections in writing. There are several tips when peer editing to ensure the writer whom you are editing can improve their writing capability. One important tip is to stay positive. Remember to start your peer editing with compliments. Telling the writer what he or she did well, will provide encouragement to the writer, and will in return give the writer more enthusiasm to revisit his or her mistakes. The second step to peer editing is to make suggestions. This gives the writer an idea of what he or she can fix or make better in their writing. When making suggestions I ask myself the following questions: Is the topic interesting? Did the writer use proper word choice? Does the paper seem to flow throughout? These are all great questions to ask when you are implementing suggestions into peer editing. The third step in peer editing is to make corrections. When making corrections it is important to look for mistakes such as, grammar, spelling, sentences, and punctuation. When peer editing remember to stay positive, be specific, and complete all three steps (compliments, suggestions, and corrections.

I then watched a brief Slide show called Peer Edit with Perfection Tutorial. Peer editing can be difficult sometimes because it is hard to correct or provide criticism for someone else’s work, without hurting the individual’s feelings. It is important to provide feedback in a way that will encourage the writer as well as accurately correct the writing. I have found that when you point out what the writer does well throughout their writing, they are more willing to accept the criticism chosen. When peer editing fellow classmates I chose to write directly on their blog by comment. If it appears that, the individual might have several mistakes including, grammar or poor word usage I would send an email. This way the individual cannot become embarrassed or disappointed to have their mistakes published to their blog. Constructive criticism, and staying positive are two tools that I use effectively when peer editing.

Please watch this humorous video on peer editing Writing Peer Review Top 10 Mistakes

Also view Paige Ellis's Blog on Peer Editing. I found Paige's Blog to be extremely resourceful!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Victoria, My name is Javious Williams. I really enjoyed reading your blog post about peer editing, I must say that you explain the definition of peer editing very well. Everything looks pretty good, I did not see any grammar, spelling, or punctuation errors. I did notice that the periods at the end of your sentences were kind of small and hard to see, but that may be because my vision is not to good at times. I also would agree with you that peer edit can be difficult at times and I will admit that I am not very good at editing other peoples work, but I know it is a very important thing to learn for anyone seeking a degree in the education field. Although I am majoring in physical education I still believe that peer editing is very important and I am working on getting better at it. Overall your post was very good and I love how you created your page, I see I have to step it up with my background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victoria, you should go back and provide a brief summary of each individual source that you read/watched so your readers know a little bit about them. Also, don't forget to add links to the sources, as well as alt/title modifiers to your pictures!

    ReplyDelete